Applicant School - Criteria
An Applicant School shall meet the following criteria:
- Is licensed by the appropriate Provincial Licensing Authority.
- Is guided by the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori.
- Has one teacher in each classroom who holds an age-appropriate diploma
from an AMI or MACTE accredited teacher training institute or any other teacher training programme that may be recognized by CCMA.
- Has a basic to full range of Montessori materials in each classroom as recommended by CCMA, which offers the broad curriculum to allow for sequential learning.
- Working toward an uninterrupted work cycle, that is ‘age and stage’ appropriate (e.g. range from 1 to 2 hours for Toddler; 2 to 3 hours for Casa; 2-1/2 to 3 hours for Elementary), to allow for the development of focus.
- Has a policy of admitting children to the programme at the appropriate age level consistent with Montessori principles that follow the developmental stages and sensitive periods for learning.
- Working toward multi-age groupings in each classroom (with a span of 1 year or more in the Toddler classroom and 3 years in the Casa and Elementary classrooms), which supports the concept that learning is a social process.
- Meets the relevant Building, Health, Safety, and Fire codes and carries appropriate insurance.
- Abides by the CCMA Code of Ethics.
- The school is actively engaged and making progress to meet the criteria for being Accredited within a certain timeframe.