Who is Eligible to be Accredited or Re-Accredited?
All schools applying for Accreditation must meet the following criteria for each of their Toddler, Casa and Elementary Montessori classes:
- Are licensed by the appropriate Provincial Licensing Authority.
- Are guided by the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori.
- Have one teacher in each classroom who holds an age-appropriate diploma
from an AMI or MACTE accredited teacher training institute or any other teacher training programme that may be recognized by CCMA.
- Have a Full range of Montessori materials in each classroom as recommended by CCMA, which offers the broad curriculum to allow for sequential learning.
- Have an uninterrupted work cycle, that is ‘age and stage’ appropriate (e.g. range from 1 to 2 hours for Toddler; 2 to 3 hours for Casa; 2-1/2 to 3 hours for Elementary), to allow for the development of focus.
- Have a policy of admitting children to the programme at the appropriate age level consistent with Montessori principles that follow the developmental stages and sensitive periods for learning.
- Have multi-age groupings in each classroom (with a span of 1 year or more in the Toddler classroom and 3 years in the Casa and Elementary classrooms), which supports the concept that learning is a social process.
- Require attendance 5 days a week, for consistency in learning, with consideration for a phase-in period for Toddler.
- Abide by the CCMA Code of Ethics.