Athletic Director/Elementary Physical Education Teacher – Immediate start for 2021-2022 academic year
Athletic Director/Elementary Physical Education Teacher
Immediate start for 2021-2022 academic year
Aurora Montessori School is a co-educational Montessori private school located in the heart of Aurora, Ontario on 14 acres of natural conservation lands. AMS delivers robust Montessori programming to students aged Toddler to Grade 8 in a 36,000 sq. ft facility with multiple state of the art playground areas, an outdoor amphitheatre and outdoor classroom, a gymnasium with a performance stage, and so much more.
Our mission is to help children realize the great potential that rests within, by assisting them in developing a sense of self and inspiring them to act on their ambitions. By adhering to the core principles, philosophies, and pedagogy of Dr. Maria Montessori, we are devoted to each child’s intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual, and physical development.
AMS is seeking a dynamic and engaging full-time Athletics Director/Elementary Physical Education Teacher who is passionate about providing developmentally appropriate knowledge and skills in all areas of the health and physical education curriculum. By providing our students opportunities to thrive physically, cognitively, socially, and emotionally, the AMS Athletics program benefits the whole child and provides them with the skills necessary to build foundational and life-long healthy living competencies. In addition to teaching Grades 1-8, the successful candidate will also take on the role of Athletics Director. Working in conjunction with the Principal and Vice Principal(s), the Athletics Director sets the vision for the AMS Athletics Program and works with the SSAF and other independent school athletic associations.
The Athletics Director/Elementary Physical Education Teacher is a full-time employee of the school, working an average of 35 hours a week from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., some evenings, and some weekends, throughout the school year. A competitive compensation package will be commensurate with experience.
We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants with disabilities, please advise us if you require an accommodation during the recruitment process.
If you would like to be considered for this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com by May 12, 2021.
- Bachelor’s degree specializing in Physical and Health Education, Kinesiology or related field
- Minimum of 4 years experience with Ontario Ministry of Education Physical and Health Education curriculum (Grades 1 – 8)
- Minimum of 3 years experience coordinating Athletics programs in an academic environment
- Minimum of 3 years experience in physical education, sports administration management or equivalent
- Experience in multiple sports in a school or community setting
- Must be able to work extended hours to participate in school activities, including parent evenings, Open Houses, concerts, and other school sanctioned events
- Current Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Level C
- Up to date Teacher Certification (Montessori or B Ed)
- Level I and/or Level II Coaching Certification
- Self-starter with high energy, flexibility, initiative, and the ability to multi-task
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral, written and computer skills
- Proficiency with Office 365 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Confident using Zoom or Teams for video conferencing and being on-camera
- Knowledge of EDSBY’s Learning Management System
- Work collaboratively to plan and deliver HPE programming using the Ontario curriculum and OPHEA as frameworks
- Develop and lead a robust recess intramural and an afterschool athletics program that focuses on sport skill development, cooperative skills, social emotional learning, and fun!
- Design and facilitate learning experiences that support the individualized learning needs of all students
- Develop a safe, caring and engaging learning environment that is grounded in AMS’ core values of respect, inclusivity, inquisitiveness and kindness
- Monitor, provide feedback and assess student learning using a range of tools and strategies
- Communicate effectively and regularly with colleagues, students, and their families
- Track and prepare student permission slips, familiarity with Small Schools Athletic Federation is an asset, SSAF waivers, Student Athlete Contracts, etc.
- Ensure coaches, athletes and volunteers are aware of the School’s Code of Conduct and relevant school policies and those of the various sporting organizations in which students are registered
- Ensure that the relevant information is given to the School Coordinator, so the booking of buses and other external transportation needs are procured
- Attend and participate in school functions and events
To learn more about Aurora Montessori School, visit our website: www.auroramontessori.com