Physical Education / Science Teacher
The Element High School
425 Marché Way, Unit 201, Ottawa ON K1S 5J3
T: 613 422 8578 – F: 613 521 6796
Grade 7 – 12 Job Posting Effective May 2020
Start Date: August 31, 2020 -Full Time (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
The Element High School is seeking an innovative and organized teacher to teach Physical Education, and senior science courses. This is an exciting opportunity to capitalize on designing a program and to work with a dedicated team of professionals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach physical education and science to students in grades 7-12;
- Integrate Montessori and innovative pedagogical practices into the curriculum;
- Facilitate hands-on exploration, student collaboration and problem-solving;
- Create meaningful partnerships with parents and families, including regular communications through e-mails, and phone calls;
- Assess and provide regular feedback to students and communicate with parents on an as needed basis and during parent/teacher conferences and report cards;
- Integrate community resources into program planning;
- Maintain and regularly update the curriculum documentation for courses;
- Attend faculty meetings.
Skills and Abilities:
- Creative and a good problem solver
- Is energetic, engaging, and creative with a clear love of students and the learning process;
- Uses student-centred teaching methodologies and other research-based practices;
- Works well as part of a team;
- Integrates educational technology to facilitate student-centred learning;
- Is a lifelong learner who is committed to continuing professional development and maintains membership in professional organizations.
- Montessori Adolescent Certification is an asset but not required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or related field required;
- Ontario College of Teachers certified
- Proficiency in digital tools for collaborative, student-centred learning.
- First Aid/CPR required (or willingness to obtain)
- Successful applicants must have clear (or negative) TB test and pass criminal background check.
About the School:
The Element High School is a subsidiary of OMS Montessori, a CCMA-accredited Montessori school with 50+ years of educational excellence. The Element pedagogy is based on Montessori philosophy, while meeting or exceeding the Ontario Ministry of Education standards. The Element is a not-for-profit private school offering an academically rigorous and engaging high school experience in Ottawa, Ontario. When we are ‘in our element,’ we are focused and engaged, we’re internally motivated, strive to do our best, actively seek out those who can help us, and are fulfilled. Located in the dynamic Lansdowne Park, The Element serves Grades 7 to 12 in the Montessori tradition.
Sarah Wheeler, Director, The Element High School with cover letter and resumé
Non-Discrimination Policy: As a matter of policy and philosophy, The Element High School hiring, admission, and operating procedures are non-discriminatory in terms of race, colour, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
|Job Category||Physical Education/Science Teacher|