Head of School
Job Posting: Head of School
Deadline: Monday, September 18, 2023
Beyond Montessori School (BMS) is inviting applications from motivated, energetic and passionate individuals for the position of Head of School.
Providing the Niagara Region with a well-rounded and authentic Montessori Education since 2008, Beyond Montessori School (BMS) is an established and growing Montessori School located in St. Catharines, ON. Nestled in a quiet residential neighbourhood, with an abundance of greenspace; BMS is a welcoming community of faculty, parents and students. BMS has over 110 engaged students from 18 months through to Grade 3.
Our current Head of School has dedicated 10 years of heartfelt service to BMS, and is ready to welcome a new HOS, who is aligned with our school’s vision, into the role. The ideal candidate will be available to train under the supervision of our current HOS in the Fall of 2023 and assume the position by 2024 or earlier.
BMS is seeking an individual who shares our vision for an authentic Montessori learning environment and has the motivation, talent and perseverance to lead our school during a busy academic year and develop a strong sense of school community. An individual with a passion for the Montessori pedagogy, strong leadership skills and a warm and welcoming ambassador of our school.
The Head of School is fully responsible for the administration of the day-to-day operations and determines, supervises, and directs educational policy, faculty employment, admissions, advancement, parent education, and community engagement. The HOS ensures that the school adheres to the highest quality of Montessori academic and operational standards.
Essential Qualifications and Abilities:
- Montessori Accreditation (preferred) / RECE
- A self-directed individual with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Dynamic, forward-thinker with a high level of integrity and impeccable people and organizational skills.
- Proven success in teaching, administrative and leadership positions in an educational environment (comparable combination of training and experience may be considered)
- Deep knowledge and understanding of child development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, think strategically, actively listen and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple tasks while maintaining a strong attention to details and accuracy.
- Human Resources experience including excellent interview skills, hiring and dismissal, skilled in problem solving and mediation.
- Friendly, personable and engaging.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, social media and basic website maintenance.
- Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident.
- Current Vulnerable Sector Police Screening & First Aid/CPR.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES include, but are not limited to:
- Supports each individual program and provides continuity among all school programming to ensure an exceptional educational experience for each child.
- Sets and upholds our high Montessori standards.
- Fosters communication within the school.
- Oversees smooth day-to-day internal operations.
- Ensures that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the school and complies with all relevant legislation and professional standards.
- Seeks and hires candidates for teaching and non-teaching positions.
- Manages working conditions, discipline, training, performance management and professional development for all school employees.
- Creates and fosters a positive, constructive and engaging work environment for all staff, including attracting and retaining great staff and balancing staff to meet program requirements.
- Understands ethical behaviour / business practices, and ensures that your own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of BMS.
- Works closely with the School Supervisor and Director/Owner.
Enrollment and Recruitment:
- Establishes standards and procedures for admissions and dismissals.
- Oversees marketing, recruitment, and admissions.
- Communicates the school’s programs to prospective families through Open Houses, Information Sessions, personal interviews, tours and written communication.
- Develops methods of communication with parent body regarding success of the program and facilitates feedback.
- Grows the Elementary Program (Grades 1 to 6).
- Encourages positive, meaningful participation by alumni, parents, and past parents in school events.
- Offers community outreach and education about the school and the Montessori philosophy.
- Acts as a spokesperson for the school.
- Communicates and build relationships with staff and families to promote a strong school community.
Compensation: Competitive, based on education and experience.
*Please communicate your hourly salary expectations in your cover letter
Benefits Package including medical, dental and Life Insurance.
Permanent Full-Time 11 months of the year position with 3 weeks vacation during the Academic School Year. 1 Month off each summer with eligibility to collect EI.
Interested candidates may submit a resume, along with a letter of interest summarizing leadership vision, experience in education and familiarity with Montessori pedagogy. Please ensure to address how the essential qualifications and abilities are met.
Email to: [email protected]
Beyond Montessori School welcomes diversity in the workplace and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. The Hiring Committee thanks all candidates in advance, but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Please visit www.beyondmontessori.com as well as our social media platforms for more information about BMS.