Humanities Position – Grades 7-12
The Element High School
The Element is seeking an innovative and organized teacher with a background in the Humanities subjects. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching at the High School level and experience with the Montessori Method. We are looking for a person who is dedicated, inspirational, able to effectively communicate with students and parents and who feels working with adolescents is their true calling. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a dedicated team of professionals in a unique program.
About the School:
The Element High School is a subsidiary of OMS Montessori, a CCMA-accredited Montessori school with 50+ years of educational excellence. The Element pedagogy is based on Montessori philosophy, whenever possible, while meeting or exceeding Ministry of Education standards. The Element is a not-for-profit private school offering an academically rigorous and engaging high school experience in Ottawa, Ontario. When we are ‘in our element,’ we are focused and engaged, we’re internally motivated, strive to do our best, actively seek out those who can help us, and are fulfilled. Located in the dynamic Lansdowne Park, The Element serves Grades 7 to 12 in the Montessori tradition.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lesson plan, teach, record keep and provide individual student support;
- Facilitate hands-on exploration, student collaboration and problem-solving; integrate Montessori and innovative pedagogical practices into the curriculum;
- Create meaningful partnerships with parents and families, including regular communications through e-mails, and phone calls;
- Assess and provide regular feedback to students and communicate with parents on an as needed basis and during parent/teacher conferences and report cards;
- Integrate community resources into program planning;
- Maintain and regularly update the curriculum documentation for courses;
- Attend faculty meetings.
Skills and Abilities:
- Uses student-centred teaching methodologies and other research-based practices;
- Is energetic, engaging, and creative with a clear love of students and the learning process;
- Works well as part of a team;
- Integrates educational technology to facilitate student-centred learning;
- Is a lifelong learner who is committed to continuing professional development and maintains membership in professional organizations.
- Has a passion for life and varied interests.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a Humanities subject or related field required;
- Ontario College of Teachers certified.
- Montessori Adolescent Certification is an asset but not required
- Three to five years of teaching experience;
- Proficiency in digital tools for collaborative, student-centred learning.
- First Aid/CPR required (or willingness to obtain)
- Successful applicants must have clear (or negative) TB test and pass criminal background check.
Start date: January 2024
Full time permanent position
Sarah Wheeler, Director, The Element High School
Subject: Humanities Teaching Position
Non-Discrimination Policy: As a matter of policy and philosophy, The Element High School hiring, admission, and operating procedures are non-discriminatory in terms of race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability.